3.29.2006

Debate with J.C.C Galvez

Define NEED. Define LUXURY.

There’s nothing permanent in this world but change. Our needs back in kindergarten are different from our needs in college, right? So if you say that anything beyond need is luxurious, then that will be doubtful. What needs are you pertaining to? And if these new things, let’s take for example the Flash Drive, if this new gadget will be labeled as luxury then in the first place why was it invented? Necessity is the mother of invention. Why was it invented? It is because it is needed, then it will no longer comply with YOUR statement that anything beyond need is luxury. For it is a NEED to begin with, right? NEED I said is something we to have to make things easier. Ok so you said it’s wrong for need is something we have to have to survive. SURVIVAL. How can you survive if things are complicated? Man has its way of coping up, of surviving and that’s by making things EASIER. And man is still journeying endlessly to make things easier to make it easier to survive. And is that LUXURY? NO! IT’S SURVIVAL. IT’S NECESSITY.

NEED and LUXURY. These two terms are relative in nature. Your need is different from mine and if you say that I am, luxurious it is because your needs are different from my needs and what you call luxury may not be the luxury I perceive in my mind. Right? Everything is a relative term for crying out loud. Damn. I don’t know why are we arguing about this but I have to defend myself in front of everybody...

No comments: